Perthshire 2nd XV

2nd XV Return to Winning Ways

Dumfries Saints 2nd XV made the trip to Perthshire on the back of three less than successful weekends. Due to this, 5 points was a minimum against a team struggling for form this season. A strong Saints team received kick off into a blustering wind, and immediately highlighted their intent. Strong running from the backs and forwards alike provided a good platform which was rewarded after 5 minutes when Jamie Graham powered over from 5 meters. Burgess converted the kick.

The next ten minutes arguably secured the victory for Dumfries, with 3 tries in quick succession, ensuring the bonus point and boosting the confidence of Dumfries. All three came from quick hands, from Duncan, Burgess, Davidson and even Mark McClatchy, with Taylor Hyslop scoring with a jinky run, and Sandy Currie touched down twice on a day when he proved very difficult to stop. 

More determined from Dumfries in attack and defence, in particular the McClatchy, Crichton and Graham, kept the pressure firmly on Perthshire who were struggling to cope. Quick ball from the returning Will Duncan led to Currie getting his 3rd and 4th of the match, and a rare but quite special try from hooker McRae who ran in a try from fully 50 meters. With Burgess kicking everything half time arrived with the saints 49 – 0 to the good.

The second half was an all together different game. Saints took their foot off the gas, and although they continued to dominate the match, Perthshire showed a great deal of grit and determination and refused to let the score line dampen their spirits. The back three of Smith, Ramage and Carson needed to be on the guard as Perthshire attempted to pin the Saints back. Dumfries did make the break through with Hyslop scampering over after a great turnover by Greene, quickly followed by Olney showing good vision to grab the second of the half.

A stalemate followed, and then the tide turned for a minute with the Perth men scoring a well worked try in the corner giving them a deserved consolation for their efforts in the 2nd half.

With the game closing, veteran Geddes drove over from all of 2 meters to grab his 1st try for the seconds, well deserved for his endeavours in the pack. Hyslop capped the scoring with his third and the referee called the game to an end. Saints secured what seemed an easy 73 – 5 victory, but this would not have been the case if it was not for the application, hard work and focus of all of the team. Fraser Carson was exceptional on his return, but on a day when 18 men put their hand up for Man of the Match, Perthshire had no option but to pick Sandy Currie, who despite losing his contact lenses, managed to score 4 tries.

 TEAM: Geddes, McRae, Olney, Greene, Carson Fr, Graham , Crichton, McClatchy, Duncan, Burgess, Smith, Davidson (C), Currie, Hyslop, Carson F  Subs(all used): McAndrew, Ramage, Letherdy