Colts v Falkirk – 20.12.14

Dumfries Saints Colts v Falkirk Colts

Saturday 20 December 2014

The Saint’s Colts kicked off their final game of the year with a mixture of trepidation and confidence. It had been 41 Days and nights since their last win in the Scottish National League. Could they build on their newly inspired self-confidence and deliver a win they hungered for? Their kick off hardly augured well. The ball cleared the touchline and the resultant Falkirk scrum allowed the opposition to pass the ball out wide and run in a try in the corner.

Not a good start, 0 – 5 down in the first three minutes! This was going to be a real test of the Colt’s collective grit and determination. Their response was clinical in its incisiveness and laid down a marker for the rest of the game. Clyde gathered the ball in the line out. One spectator exclaimed; “that boy marshals the troops like Martin Johnson at his best”. He controlled a driving maul that resulted in him being driven over the line to score. He duly converted his own try. Game on.

Falkirk Colts made every effort to capitalize on their strength, playing an expansive game – and scored another unconverted try. Again, the home team’s response was self-assured. Saints’ forwards set up a series of rucks that maintained possession – culminating in Gracie going over for a try. This pattern of play was repeated and it was King who used his considerable power to drive over for his maiden try. Clyde converted leaving the score 19 – 10 at half-time.Colts on the defensive against a strong Falkirk attack

The Colts maintained their forward dominance and kept possession for long periods of play. When Falkirk did manage to secure the ball the Saints three quarters employed their rush defence to good effect. The result of this allowed Braid to score a converted try and Lindsay to score the final Saint’s try. The Saints then tried to open the game up and play a slightly more expansive game. A momentary loss of concentration allowed the Falkirk outside half to intercept a pass and run in the try. The final score of 31 – 15 reflected a great result for the Colts. Man of the match King had plenty to sing about in the clubhouse after the game.Another Falkirk attack brought to ground by Saints

The Colts have a well-earned rest until their away game v Stirling County on Saturday 10 January.

Team: Nairn, Hyslop, Houlday , Howatson, Hogg, O’Donnell, Carlisle, McHenry, Gracie, Braid, Clyde, Lindsay, Martin, Fitzpatrick (Capt), McMorran, Paterson, King and Blandford.