Glasgow Hawks RFC

Glasgow Hawks 18 Dumfries Colts 36

Dumfries went into the October holiday break knowing that a win away at Hawks would stand them in a great position to qualify for the National Cup after the New Year having beat the other West sides apart from Ayr.

Inspirational Ryan Cruikshank was not available so Edward Jackson came back into the back row.  Forwards were the same as last weeks’  thumping of West and the flying Sion Davies returned to the wing.

On a glorious day on a back pitch at Glasgow Accies ground both teams were fairly even with three early exchanges of scored penalties in the first 15 minutes resulted in Hawks going 6 points to 3 up.  James Clyde kicking Dumfries points.  A yellow card for Scott Goodwin after 15 minutes after the opposition intimidation finally got to him resulted in Dumfries picking up 12 points while he was off.

Declan O’Donnell did a perfect chip into the corner for the bounce being kind to Kyle Lindsay to score and from a long spell of phases of pick and drive Ryan Arthur dived over from a yard.  James Clyde added both conversions and a penalty. Hawks added a score of their own under the posts after a missed tackle in the centre but Dumfries were well please at turning round at half time 18 – 13 up.

Dumfries made changes at half time with standoff Declan O’Donnell struggling with an injury and Iain McKnight replaced him.  Jack McQueen made his debut on the wing to replace Freddie Priestley and Jamie MacDonald came onto second row for his first game of the season and to replace Ryan Arthur. The changes stepped up the pace for Dumfries and in the second half managed to get 18 points without reply to wrap up the game well before the end.

Scott Goodwin made amends for his earlier discretion by stealing the ball at the lineout and setting up the ball for two rucks in midfield and quick ball resulted in John McWilliam bursting his tackle to score.  James Clyde added the extras and on the next visit to the 22 he added a further penalty to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Sean McDougall earned his man of the match award by being everywhere and capped his great performance by finishing a move along the backs to score in the corner.  James Clyde kept the scores coming with a further penalty. Gavin Howatson never missed a tackle all day.

Euan McMorran came onto hooker with captain Cammy Taylor having to replace the tired Scott Goodwin on the tightside.  Cammy put in the tackle of the season when the Hawks winger was diving into the corner and Cammy tackled him into touch however hawks finally scored in the last minute into the corner for an unconverted try.

A great performance from the Dumfries Colts particularly in the second half in keeping the homeside pegged back at every occasion.

Team ;  Jack McHenry, Cammy Taylor (Euan McMorran) Scott Goodwin, James Clyde, Ryan Arthur (Jamie MacDonald) Edward Jackson, Sean McDougall, Kyle Lindsay, Lewis Morrison, Declan O’Donnell, (Iain McKnight) Sion Davies, gavin Howatson, John McWilliam, Freddie Priestley (Jack McQueen) Scott Kerr