Creighton Skolars





Friendly Game – Creighton Skolars 10 – Dumfries Saints 2nd’s 60

On a beautiful spring afternoon the Saints made the short journey down the motorway to play long time friends Creighton at their purpose built facility south of Carlisle attempting to retain Calcutta Cup 2 donated by the Cumbrians a few years ago seeking to emulate the big boys at Murrayfield or Twickenham.

With a number of injuries and unavailability, Saints took the opportunity to give valuable game time to fringe players and even managed to loan one to the opposition with Leon Stanus becoming and honorary Old Creightonian. Bob McAndrew playing his last game for the club prior to moving to OZ (the jury is still out if its emigration or deportation) was given the honour of leading the side.

Up front, James Cox and Ross Strawbridge propped up team leader Simon Robertson with Bobby Farish locking down beside Fraser Carson. The back row comprised Dan Henderson, John McAndrew and Stewart Kennedy for all of 30 seconds when Kennedy fell at the first hurdle and was carted off with an ankle injury. Unfortunately, the promising youngster will miss the next couple of weeks but with luck will be fit for the tail end off the season

Behind the scrum, Steve Lethardy was at scrum half to partner Keith Riddick with Justin Little joining Martin Smith in the midfield, Dickie McCornick and Euan Burgess were on the wings with Captain of the day Bob McAndrew at full back. Stuart Burgess was on the bench for 30 seconds when he came on for Kennedy and the team was reconfigured with Little moving into his more usual role on the flank and Burgess filled the centre slot.

The game was never going to be a classic and from the outset was going to be a one sided affair. However the game served its purpose in that moves were tried, and different combinations experimented on. Apart from the injury to Kennedy, this was a worthwhile workout for the team and continued the long friendly relationship the two clubs enjoy and the added bonus that the Calcutta Cup 2 was returning north once again.

For the record the scorers were Smith (2) and 2 conversions, Lethardy, Strawbridge, Little (2), Henderson, Farish, Bob McAndrew. Burgess completed the scoring with four conversions and a penalty.

Captain for the day Bob McAndrew receiving the Cup