Dumfries Saints 24 Greenock Wanderers 36

Dumfries Saints 24  Greenock Wanderers 36

Another impressive performance from the young Saints who dominated possession but were up against some wise old heads who took their opportunities when they arose. This game saw the return from injury of centres Sam Hiddleston and Michael Yates, both made an impact and once they get back up to full match fitness levels they will cause some damage to opposition defences in the remaining games of the season.

The first half was played at a furious pace with both teams playing good rugby that entertained the large crowd. The Saints were showing excellent ball retention and direct running, the Wanderers showing great composure in defence and clinical efficiency in counter attacking.

Excellent tries from Ally Mather, Andrew Wilson and Stewart Kennedy with one conversion by Andrew Wilson were countered by three converted tries from Greenock. The second half started with Saints down 21 to 15 and a lot of anticipation from the supporters from both clubs. No one could have predicted what was to happen next. Referee Mike Adamson a former Glasgow Warrior and Scotland Sevens International had a 5 minute card fest and binned 4 players, a Wanderer and 3 Saints. They were for a variety of offences some more worthy of yellow than others. Down to 12 men the Saints surprised opposition and supporter alike by scoring an excellent teamwork try touched down by Graeme Gemmell and converted by Andrew Wilson to take the lead 24 to 21.

But it was short lived as the half went on Saints were running out of steam, Greenock scored another 2 tries, ref Adamson sent another 2 Saints to the bin and Greenock exploited gaps left by 13 exhausted players to score a final try.

A strange game with several positives, a few negatives and a lot of promise for the future.

Team; G Gemmell, A Wilson, E Laverty, S Hiddleston, A Whiteford,  M Rennie, J Johnstone, A Prentice, J Jackson, C Goldie, D Henderson, A Mather, M Greene, F Miller, S Henderson, D Crichton, B Radley, M Yates.

Daniel Henderson driving forward


Mike Rennie takes some stopping


Andrew Wilson scoring Saints second try.

Andrew scoring