Morgan Mauled!

Saints travelled to Dundee minus some regulars as a sickness bug took it’s toll on the squad. Young scrum half Andrew Ainslie made his debut and colts prop Mark Olney started on the bench. The home side were desperately hunting points in their battle to avoid relegation, for Saints it was about seeing how high they could finish in Premier 3.

Predictably Morgan started the better with a real head of steam up they attacked the Saints line and pinned them back. While the Saints defence held firm there was too much slackness at times and basic mistakes prevented Saints from lifting the siege. Eventually after 15 minutes Morgan made Saints pay taking a midfield penalty quickly and scoring under the posts as a result of some poor tackling, it was converted.

Saints appeared to wake up from their slumbers at this point and within five minutes had scored. A Sam Hiddleston break carried on by Kenny Henderson and brother Tom got them deep into Morgan territory, the ball was recycled and Andrew Ainslie found Adam Munro on the charge, with the line in sight he offloaded to prop Sean Graham up in support to score his first Saints try.

At this point the game was finely balanced but an outrageous dummy from Paddy Coupar was taken by two Morgan defenders and he raced in from 40 yards to score, Tom Hiddleston converted. Morgan were not going to lie down however and mounted another siege of the Saints line. Good defence however held them out and with half time approaching Saints were back on the attack. Unfortunately a loose pass in midfield was intercepted and the home centre raced away for a 60 yard try.

Saints turned around trailing 14-12 but now had the advantage of the slope and the slight wind. Morgan started well and earned a scrum five yards from the Saints line. Good defence and a turn over led to Villy Satala making a 70 yard break deep into the Morgan 22, desperate defence conceded a penalty which Tom Hiddleston converted to put Saints back in front.

Within minutes Rory Steele broke through in open play and weaved his way to within yards of the line, Ross Henderson was up in support to carry it on and when he was stopped brother Daniel arrived like a raging bull to drive over and score. Tom converted and a gap was opened up.

Hard as they tried Morgan could not break the Saints defence and turn overs cost them dearly. Saints moved the ball wide and Villy Stala put youngster Ewan Miller away on the wing. Ewan raced away and showed great football skills to chip the last defender and Villy Satala followed up to score, again it was converted.

Morgan were not finished however and hammered away at the Saints line, eventually they moved it wide and managed a try in the corner. Saints however went up a gear again and Sam Hiddleston made a clean break out wide combining well with Villy Satala before taking the return pass and scoring under the posts. Tom Hiddleston converted for 36-19.

The home side spent the last few minutes trying to get a fourth try and therefore a bonus point but the Saints defence held firm. This was a good win, the game arguably meant little for Saints and it would have been easy to lose it however their pride and pace were too much for Morgan.

Team; S Graham, R Henderson, G McCall, S Kennedy, D Henderson, A Munro, F Miller, P Coupar, A Ainslie, G Gemmell, V Satala, S Hiddleston, R Steele, E Miller, K Henderson. Subs both used; M Olney and T Hiddleston.