1st XV v Lasswade 15.9.18

Dumfries Saints 87    Lasswade 5

After last weekend’s fast and accurate victory over newly promoted Glasgow Accies this game against the team who finished 4th behind Saints 3rd place in the league last season but yet to win a game this season was an eagerly awaited to test where Saints were in relation to other Lasswade have played.

The opening try came after 4 minutes following a break out of defence and charge up field from Sam Hiddleston after a few recycles was finished off by Ewan Miller and converted by John Carlisle. Lasswade kicked a deep restart Saints wing Robert Douglas picked the ball up deep in his own 22 and ran the length of park to score Saints second try, again converted by John Carlisle.

Lasswade got some possession in the Saints half and set up an attack which was stopped on Saints 22 by an excellent tackle from Sam Hiddleston, John Carlisle stole the ball and set up a ruck, scrum half Jack Steele box kicked ahead and chased picking up the ball just short of the halfway line and ran it in under the posts, John Carlisle converted.

Saints were playing with great pace, great confidence and great handling skills that few teams would be able to compete against. After some excellent ball handling John Carlisle was released into a gap to score under the posts then convert. With 16 minutes gone Saints were 28 nil up and the bonus point was secure.

A great break from Sam Hiddleston was finished off by Callum Smith, again John Carlisle converted. Fast recycling from a breakdown was picked up by Sam Hiddleston to score Saints 6th try again converted by John Carlisle.  Tail gunner Dougie Boyd stole a Lasswade lineout on the Saints 10 and ran from there to score without a hand laid on him. The conversion was missed with the last kick of the half and Saints were up 47 nil.

This was an excellent performance from Saints who were dominating every aspect of the game against a Lasswade side that were struggling to find their form. The next try started from a Saints scrum near the right hand touchline just outside the Lasswade 22 and the ball went through hands to the left touchline and back before John Carlisle kicked ahead and Sam Hiddleston chased the touchdown, John Carlisle converted.

Next try was from a turnover just outside the Lasswade 22 which was carried forward by Sam Hiddleston and Jack Steele before being spun wide to Jack Currie to score, the conversion was missed. In a rare visit into the Saints half Lasswade scored out wide with a drive from the base of a ruck, the conversion was missed. 59 : 5.

Michael Yates stripped the ball off a Lasswade player trying to carry out of his own 22, a quick ball to Joe Strain pulled the Lasswade defence out wide and a perfectly time inside pass put Michael Scott over, John Carlisle converted. Saints domination of the scrum gave them a pushover tray touched down by Number 8 Callum Smith, converted by John Carlisle. 73 : 5.

From the restart Saints brought the ball deep in their own half through several sets of hands for the final crash through from Michael Yates to put Joe Strain into space, John Carlisle converted. The final try was from another Michael Yates turnover in the middle of the field spun out quickly to Joe Strain for the youngster to score and John Carlisle to convert.

This may have been a bit of a one sided game but Saints were clinical in there execution and showed some real quality in their play.

Squad: Jack Curry, Andrew Whiteford, Sam Hiddleston, Michael Yates, John Carlisle, Robert Douglas, Joe Strain, Jack Steele (Captain), Callum Smith, Ewan Miller, Michael Scott, Ryan Cruikshank, David Andrew, James Clyde, Ian Carlisle, Dougie Boyd, Sean graham, Tom Martin and Craig Goldie.

There was an excellent result on the other pitch as Saints 2nd XV ran out 71 : 7 winners against Dalziel 2nd XV.

Next Saturday Saints 1st XV are away to Preston Lodge and Saints 2nd XV are away to Hamilton


Share Button