Glasgow Accies

Glasgow Accies 12   Dumfries Saints 64

Conditions were perfect on newly reseeded Accies pitch for fast running rugby and that is what the crowd were given.

Newly promoted Accies attacked first and when clearing lines a Saints high ball was chased and caught by Andrew Whiteford setting up Saints 1st attack, the ball was carried forward by Calum Smith and Jack Currie before foul play stopped the attack.  A Simple penalty into the corner, catch and drive in the lineout, score by JP Thomson and conversion by John Carlisle. This was a confident start from an alert, fast Dumfries side with slick handling that had eluded them the previous week.

Accies came back forcing a penalty of their own but the kick fell short. Saints were having more than their fair share of possession and were retaining the ball well building phases and territory with patience and precision putting scrum half Rob Greenshields over at the posts. John Carlisle converted taking the score to 0 : 14 with 15 minutes played.

Some fantastic handling with the ball going from Rob Greenshields to Jack Steele, Jack Currie to Robert Andrew then Andrew Whiteford to finish. John Carlisle converted taking it to 0 : 21.

A break from Ewan Miller was finished by second row David Andrew for the bonus point, converted by John Carlisle. Then a line break by Jack Currie set up Man of the Match Andrew Whiteford to finish, this one went unconverted and it was 0 : 33 with half an hour played at the fastest pace and with the slickest handling seen for years.

This early in the season that kind of pace was not sustainable and Saints took the foot off the gas which allowed Accies to show that when they had possession they could patiently build phases a field possession and Saints were given the opportunity to try out there defensive skills where a couple of missed tackles cost them a couple of tries before half time, one was converted with the half ending 12 : 33.

Accies held the bulk of possession in the third quarter but Saints defence had tightened up after the half time talk and shut them out with some outstanding tackling, ball stripping and rucking. Accies were relentless in their grinding attacks but were running out steam. It was Ewan Miller again who broke out of defence and fed the young Glasgow U18 stand-off Joe Strain, playing his first game for Saints to finish off the score, the conversion was missed.

Some great interplay at pace between John Carlisle, Robert Douglas and back to John Carlisle gave the centre a excellent score which he converted. Then another great series of fast running and passing put Jack Currie over which John Carlisle converted. This was breathless stuff for a final quarter and Accies were too exhausted to answer.

Ewan Miller with another excellent line break put John Carlisle over to score but the conversion was missed. Then from the restart James Clyde caught the ball and laid it off to Andrew Whiteford who ran it under the posts from just outside his own 22, John Carlisle converted with the last kick of the game.

This had been an absolute treat for the Saints travelling support who now look forward to welcoming Lasswade to Park Farm next Saturday.

Squad; Jack Steele (Captain), Andrew Whiteford, Jack Currie, John Carlisle, Robert Douglas, Joe Strain, Rob Greenshields, Craig Goldie, Tome Martin, Douglas Boyd, James Clyde, David Andrew, James Thomson, Ewan Miller, Calum Smith, Ben Johnstone, Ian Carlisle and Ryan Cruikshank.