1st XV v Haddington 11.3.17

Dumfries Saints 72    Haddington 7

With sights still on promotion Saints needed 5 points and big score difference from this home game after winning the away tie 10 : 24. With just 2 minutes on the clock in a kick and chase up the line by Rory Steele had the Haddington full back forced into making a clearance attempt surrounded by his own players, the clearance bounced off his Number 8’s back and was pounced on by Rory Steele and John Carlisle, the ball was spun across the posts for Sam Hiddleston to touch down, converted by Rory Steele.

Haddington had a couple of visits into the Saints half but failed to capitalise on them despite having the edge in the scrum. It was at 14 minutes Saints were back in the Haddington 22 when the defending team were penalised for handling in a ruck. Rory Steele took the score to 10 nil.

Following a great break down the left by Michael Thomson, Rory crossed over as the ball went through the hands and joined the line wide on the right to draw the defence before popping an inside pass to Sam Hiddleston who ran in his second try. Rory converted.

The next came from a spilled Haddington ball deep in the Saints and run out of defence by Jordan Kerr, then Rory Steele, Sam Hiddleston, Michael Thomson and finished by John Carlisle, a tremendous team try from great vision, handling and support running. Converted by Rory Steele.

The next was at 25 minutes run from 22 to 22 by 2nd row Michael Thompson before he was stopped but it was quickly recycled and eventually finished off under the posts by Finlay Miller. Rory Steele converted.

Despite some excellent play from both sides for the next 15 minutes with Jack Steele coming close in the left hand corner following a great individual run that was the final score of the half at 31 nil.

Two minutes into the second half a great run by prop Devon Macdonald got Saints a penalty 5 metres out, a tap penalty and drive over gave Sam Hiddleston his 3rd try, converted by Rory Steele. From a stolen lineout on their own 10 Saints ran the ball into the Haddington 22 John Carlisle kicked ahead and Jack Steele chased and touched down wide on the left. The conversion was missed.

The next was from a clearance caught by Kenny Henderson taken on by Sam Hiddleston and great support running by Kenny Henderson who got the try. The conversion was missed 48 nil. From the restart Saints had 3 quick recycles to get into the Haddington half, a deep pass and then fast hands from John Carlisle and Rory steel to a sprinting Kenny Henderson for another terrific team try by an on form Saints team, the conversion was missed.

Haddington ran out of front rows and the game went to uncontested scrums and from one on the half way Kenny Henderson came off his right wing on a great angle outside the stand-off and got behind the defence before offloading to centre John Carlisle who ran it in wide on the left. Rory Steele converted taking the score to 60 nil

A bit of complacency set in as Haddington ran out of front rows and the game went to uncontested scrums and a Haddington try from a 5 metre scrum was inevitable.

The recovery was impressive with a run in from half way by Sam Hiddleston finished off with a spectacular dive, converted by Rory Steele. Then to finish the game off a run by Craig Goldie was finished off by Jack Johnstone. The conversion was missed and the final score was 72 : 7.

This was good run out for second placed the Saints who have a rest this weekend before taking on 10th placed Perthshire away on the 25th leaving the last 2 games against league leaders Lasswade at home and 3rd placed St Boswells away.

Squad: Scott Goodwin, Euan Mack, Devon MacDonald, Jamie Graham, Michael Thompson. Finlay Miller (captain), Ryan Cruikshank, Ali Jackson, Jack Johnstone, Jordan Kerr, Kenny Henderson, John Carlisle, Rory Steele, Sam Hiddleston, Craig Goldie, Michael Badenhurst, Michaels Scott and Andrew Wilson.

Share Button